Sunday, February 24, 2008

An Amazing Book

I just finished reading the most amazing book. I have read/stalked/commented on her blog, read recipes from her, but never in the completed form as her book.

The gluten free girl rocks!

Her book is well laid out, full of poignant stories of her childhood, tales of processed food that she (and all of us within the same demographic and age line) grew up on, as well as practical advice. She is an easy read, full of great dialogue and when she explains food - the way it feels in your hands, the smell, the taste, the texture - you can close your eyes and picture it all. I loved this book.

It helped that she speaks of home as Seattle. With familiar places within the pages as Pike Place Market and others. I love that she embraces the 100 mile diet when at all possible, and supports the ma and pop stores. She made me take a good long look at my gluten free lifestyle and examine some of my habits and traditions.

Gluten free can be just like a gluten filled lifestyle. One can opt to eat frozen gf pizza from the shelves or you can find a great mix and make one at home. You can reheat a mac and cheese or you can buy Tinkiyada pasta, grate some fancy cheese, sprinkle it with rice flour and season to taste. While it is bubbling away in the oven you can read a book, or surf the net, all the while anticipating the great taste that only homemade brings.

My life is full of cooking potential. We made a pact when I was diagnosed that we would not eat anywhere that I could not eat as well. That means when we eat as a family, we do not enter anywhere where I have to stare at them while they eat and I nibble on a rice cake. We only eat where I feel safe to order, and it is becoming more and more apparent that I am affected more with cross contamination as time goes on. So we eat out less. That is the bad side.

The good side is all the money that we can then spend to experiment in the kitchen. We can try new recipes, eat good food that is in season, buy fresh and from a butcher or a fish monger, and introduce our girls to a whole host of good eats.

So tonight we are having lemon herb garlic organic chicken, quinoa and brown rice pilaf, steamed broccoli topped with pistachios and parm cheese and a yummy glass of white wine.

Gluten free goodness, all within reach of our front door.

1 comment:

Thistlemoon said...

This is a great perspective of how to deal with your Celiac's. It is wonderful how supportive your family is and that it has given you a greater incentive to cook awesome meals at home!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!